Appalachian College of Pharmacy

Parent 

Should my child go to this school?  You should not be deciding what pharmacy school your child attends.  And lets face it.  Pharmacy school is the ugly step sister to med school.  As a parent, you have failed. 

But my child has wanted to be a pharmacist since high school?  And you didn't push her toward med school?  Are you a parent or aren't you?  

Repeat after me: I...have...failed...at...parenting.

Braggable or shameful?  One might assume shameful, but it depends on with whom you're conversing.  If you're in the company of churchgoing folk, you can spin a good yarn about how your kid is helping the impoverished and underserved of the region.  If you're otherwise in the company of the naive, pious, and charitable, this will probably float as braggable.  And maybe it is indeed true.  In a sheer battle of clout, though, you will lose.  The mission of the school is good, but Appalachia just isn't sexy these days, the popularity of Justified notwithstanding.  

In any conversation, be prepared to answer this question, over and over:  "Oh, I've never heard of that school.  Where is that?"           

So -- where is it?  Oakwood.  Part of the southwestern portion of the Commonwealth know affectionately as the Poverty Panhandle.   


Student

Will I have fun at this school?  What fun won't you have in the Poverty Panhandle?

Will I have to study hard?  It's pharmacy school, not med school.

Will I have to study hard??  Can you sort the brown M&Ms from the blue M&Ms and push them into a pile without eating any?    

Yes I can.  You'll do fine.